Selecting the right contractor for your next home improvement project can be stressful! When deciding between contracting companies, there are some important factors to consider:
● Quality & warranty of products
● Labor warranty
● Timeline expectations
● Financing options offered
Quality & Warranty of Products
A great contractor, or sales representative, will discuss the products they plan to use on your home with you, and why they recommend them. Make sure to ask for a copy of the manufacturer's warranty.
Before you sign a contract, be sure to ask about their labor warranty and receive something in writing.
Keep in mind, usually the best contractors are the busy contractors. Don’t expect your project to start immediately, but do ask your contractor how long the project should take so that there are clear expectations upfront.
Get more than one estimate, and compare each one “apples to apples.” Ask your contractors to review the other 1 or 2 bids you have received, to see how they compare. MIS is always happy to review another estimate you have received.
Financing Options Offered
Some contractors may be certified with financing companies in order to offer you financing solutions for your projects. MIS is certified with several financing companies that offer PACE Financing, such as Ygrene and Renew, in order to offer flexible financing options.
A few things you can do to narrow your search for a great contractor
• Meet face to face. Don’t underestimate how important it is to meet the contractor that will be doing your project! Communication will be key during the construction process, so it’s best to meet your contractor in person before signing the contract to ensure a great working relationship.
• Ask family and friends for references. New to your neighborhood? Try the NextDoor app. Many neighborhoods are using this popular app to make recommendations for local businesses.
• Check statuses of licenses online or ask the contractor for a copy of their license.
• Verify insurance coverage.
• Be wary of contractors that ask you to pull your own permit, or refuse to acquire proper permits for the work they plan to do.
• Ask to view recently completed projects. For example, if you are looking to purchase a new roof, your contractor should be able to give you a list of recently completed roofs in your area, just respect the privacy of the owners.
• Have a detailed contract in place before any work begins. Your contract should spell out exactly what is to be done, including progress payments and materials to be used. Any change in the project, whether you change your mind about products or ask for additional work, should generate a written change order.
At Modern Installation Solutions, we aim to provide the best products & warranties at a competitive price. We know that selecting a contractor for your project can be a big decision, and that’s why our team is more than willing to answer any and all of your questions. Give us a call today at 954-507-6432 to schedule an appointment for a free estimate.